Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Where is Kevin Sorbo?



I have a vague sense that Hercules and Love Affair's thematic preoccupation, so to speak, has something to do with gender identity, Greek mythology, and disco, but ever since I first read the name "Hercules and Love Affair" I've been thrown by how friggin' perfect of a band name that is. It is innocuous and melodramatic at the same time, and allows you to draw absolutely no conclusions whatsoever about the kind of music they make, which I think is what a good band name does. A horrible band name, on the other hand, is something like Broken Social Scene, which makes you sound like some kind of angsty punk band comprised of 16 year olds.


I think recently, the only act I've wanted to see more than Hercules and Love Affair is Glass Candy. If Glass Candy plays Chicago anytime in the near future it would take it as a sign from God that I am on the right path. There's just something so appealing about all of this nouveaudisco with its darkly stylish synth lines and careful production. Don't you feel it? The will to groove?




I like interviews with bands a lot, especially ones where they identify themselves as being "dorks." I think it makes me feel good about all those years I spent playing Magic The Gathering/watching Stargate SG-1.

No comments: