Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Band that the 80s forgot



Does anyone listen to the Cocteau Twins?

They have the same vaguely obscure alternative band from the 80s UK appeal as My Bloody Valentine and Jesus and Mary Chain, but I feel like they have a much smaller listenership.

Dealing in the same kind of ambient pop as My Blood Valentine, minus the "listen to how much feedback I can make with my guitar" elitism, Cocteau Twins were a trio hailing from 80s Scotland,  formed by Robin Guthrie, Simon Raymonde, and Elizabeth Fraser (who sang vocals on Massive Attack's "Teardrop Symphony" on the Mezzanine LP).

Considering their 80s appeal and shimmering, overwhelming, dream-inducing sound, I don't really understand why they don't seem to get as much attention as other bands from their era. Maybe it's the fact that Elizabeth Fraser more often than not employs her fantastically operatic voice in a language that she made up, which might turn off people who need to be able to understand the lyrics (people who by the way, I've never understood).

I don't know. I doubt that I'll ever get into a marshmallow-filled pillow fight which a large group of impossible beautiful Pablo Neruda scholars dressed like the girls in the Teenagers video for "Homecoming", and listening to the Cocteau Twins with my eyes closed is probably the closest I'll ever come.





No comments: