Sunday, May 18, 2008

sing it back to me


 


If you're anything like me, then b96 was a really serious part of your musical education. b96 is the reason why Mariah Carey is such an important part of my life, and is really the basis for the way I feel about music in general. Laugh if you want detractors, but pop matters, and the indelible influence of top 40 on my young, musically impressionable mind has got to be a part of the evidence.

For instance, b96 played the club hit "Sing it Back" by Moloko pretty frequently in 90s, so all you former b96 listeners are probably already familiar with the above lady in red, Roisin Murphy (sort of pronounced Row-sheen). Murphy was 50% of the duo, accompanied by producer Mark Brydon. Despite some moderate success, they parted ways in 2001. Murphy didn't quit though, she signed to EMI and released two pretty well received solo albums, 2005's "Ruby Blue," and 2007's "Overpowered."

So, Murphy should be doing fine right? She should be fast approaching Minoguesque success, right?
NOPE.
Despite having released two, critically acclaimed, catchy-as-fuck, single-potential-filled albums, Roisin Muprhy is not anywhere close to having Justin Timberlake grab her ass on national television.
C'mon now.
I don't get why everyone goes gaga over Kate Nash, and Lily Allen and Amy Winehouse. They've all got some good tracks on their respective releases, but  in the end I was thoroughly underwhelmed by all of them. On the other hand, here is Roisin Murphy, on a major label, attractive, making CUTS with a capital K, and no one really seems to give a shit.

Sadness, mad sadness.



4 comments:

ORH said...

huff
fix the link for "off and on", fool
body language sounds like something from purple rain (this is a positive quality)

Matthew said...

link fixed

AVKH said...

matthew.
your bog is killer.
you impress me with you knowledge of sing it back to me.

-anj

Brittany said...

This has nothing to do with your post but because I don't have AIM and have spent an ungodly amount of time on Youtube I must tell you my opinions on very important matters concerning pop music: "Dangerously in Love" is a good pop ballad (maybe it is just straight up R&B. It's a fine line) and I think I'm going to start dressing like Left-Eye in the video for "Creep". Also,I think T-boz's gestures in "Red Light Special" are incredibly funny.

That's it really.